Laundry/Mudroom in the Making

Our back door is our primary means of entry. Even when we have company over about 50% of the time we take them through the garage and to the back door. The first thing you see when you walk through the back door is this...



The top of the washer and dryer are a dumping ground for just about everything. I decided to do a little mini makeover. I took everything out that did not belong in the laundry room. I hid the rest of the 'junk' inside some wooden crates that I picked up at a yard sale. This only used up two crates, leaving me an empty one so I decided to take the cleaners out from under the kitchen sink and store here as well. I then used shower curtain rings to hang up the mop, broom, and duster and I stuck the dryer sheets in a petty glass vase. Here is what my laundry room looks like now.



I love that the crates hide a bunch of clutter, and hanging the mop and broom up is a lot more convenient. When I'm done mopping I can just hang it up and slide my mop bucket underneath it to catch any drips. I must admit, it does look a lot better but I'm not done. Here are a couple ideas I have for the future of this room.

The middle crate it full of our rags. With a new puppy who is finally starting to get the point of house training and two messy kids, including a two year old in potty training, I use those rags a lot. However I'm short and they are hard to reach. I usually end up sliding the crate forward then pulling it down. When I do this, the wire shelf scraps the bottom of the crate creating a shower of tiny wood pieces resulting in a huge mess. I plan on stacking the crates on their side, adding some wheels and sliding them in next to the dryer (I'll figure out another place for the trash can). Even though they look nice and hide a lot of clutter, the crates just are not working on the shelf.

I would also like a place to put our shoes when we come inside but since there really is no place for shoe storage on the floor I think something like this may be doable.


These lemonade carafes would be perfect for storing my homemade laundry detergent and fabric softener in.

I usually hang clothes that need to dry on the bottom shelf but there really isn't that much space between the bars for hanging shirts or wider clothes without folding them. If I use hangers to hang them up then they bunch up at the bottom. This fold up clothes drying rack would be perfect for hanging clothes as well as providing some extra storage.

Did you enjoy this post?
Vote for me!



Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!


Check out these amazing products!
183712_392x72 NavBarBanner


344924_Gold SheepSkin Pumps at $44.99 210766_Get Great Toys at Unbeatable Prices at FunToyMall.com First One's on Us - IMEMFIRST 396868_Shop 2b for Affordable, Fun & Flirty Fashion 24/7

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful ideas! Love the drink dispenser being used for laundry detergent! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love them too!! So much prettier than what the stuff actually comes in.

      Delete
  2. Being short myself, I wondered about the boxes being up so high. It looks like you are thinking this one through very carefully. I moved my cleaners out from under the sink a couple of years ago and freed up space for all the baking sheets, trays, glass pans and cutting boards. Best idea ever! Your room looks so much better already! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people who lived here before must have been freaking giants. I had to move all of the closet shelving down. Even my husband who is fairly tall couldn't reach the top shelf without a step stool. Thank you for your sweet comment.

      Delete
  3. I love that drying rack (I have it pinned, too!). I'll probably be adding something like it to our bathroom/laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see photos of your bathroom/laundry room once you get it up. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Looking good! I love your ideas...it makes me want to do more around our place. Love those crates...I want some!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just an idea since you are having trouble reaching the shelves bring the shelves down lower for you. Also maybe the crates aren't the ideal thing for you something that wouldn't splinter might be better there. I like the corner with your garbage can and the idea that you put your bucket behind it so the mop can leak into it if need be. The other ideas are great keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you don't want to make your laundry soap I have a website that I sell a all natural
    laundry soap (berries) www.webesoapnuts.com I also tried to make laundry soap but found this easy way to do laundry. A 16 oz. bag of soap nuts (not related to edible nuts) that will wash up to 360 loads of laundry for $19.99. You put 5 berries in a enclosed linen bag and throw in washer. You can use these soap nuts for other cleaning purposes, see other uses on our web site. They have been using these for centuries! Your clothes will last longer and you will have less lint in your dryer. Your clothes will smell fresh like they hung out on the line, and best of all no chemicals...


    Chris at www.webesoapnuts.com

    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Don't see your comment? All comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.
I read and appreciate each and every comment from my sincere readers, however, DIYHSH is a place for inspiration not drama. Any comments that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious or spam like will be deleted.

Share with your friends!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...